It's funny how often the best medicine isn't used. Sometimes it's a matter of paranoia over their abuse potential, sometimes it's just ignorance.
One example that comes to mind is acidophilus. Because a) it's marketed as a supplement rather than a medicine, and b) it's not necessary, in the same sense that an antibiotic is necessary to flush out an infection, or morphine is necessary to help deal with pain, it's simply not used in hospitals, despite clear and obvious advantages to its use.
Antibiotics do this thing where they kill off helpful bacteria as well as harmful bacteria. The most pronounced effect of this is in the GI tract, and in fact it's very common for people after going through a long haul with antibiotics will have a lowered appetite, lowered immune system, etc., and there's no doubt that acidophilus can help with this. While it's routinely recommended in some countries it's really not as mainstream it should be (at least in Canada).
I feel like going into this in more depth but I'm getting foggy headed again so I'll save this for later.
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment