Saturday, May 12, 2007

I hate phenylephrine

Phenylephrine or Neo-Synephrine is an α-adrenergic receptor agonist used primarily as a decongestant, as an agent to dilate the pupil and, to increase blood pressure. Phenylephrine has recently been marketed as a substitute for pseudoephedrine, (e.g. Pfizer's Sudafed PE) but there are recent claims that oral phenylephrine may be no more effective as a decongestant than placebo.

I tried using this stuff recently and it literally did nothing at all to help my congestion. In fact, I didn't notice any effects of any kind. But, I suppose that's the price we have to pay, to keep meth off of our streets.

I took more later and DID notice an effect beyond placebo, but its ability as a decongestant is pretty terrible. Buy oxymetazoline instead. It's not particularly great either but it's better than this crap (the stuff I was complaining about a couple of posts down).

No comments: